Educators, parents, and students across the nation are beginning to or already have implemented distance learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The uncertainty of when schools will re-open or remain closed is stressful for everyone. Luckily, educators can continue teaching remotely using helpful platforms like Google Classroom, Dojo, and Remind across digital devices. While distance learning cannot completely replace in-person learning in schools, devices such as Chromebooks, iPads, or tablets can be great tools for e-learning while students are at home. While this can be a challenging time for everyone, understanding how to teach with tech can be a good place to begin. Below you will find a guide to some helpful platforms that can help educators everywhere get set up for distance learning.
Google Classroom is a quick and easy way to send out assignments to students. It also allows students to complete and turn in assignments without any paperwork. This platform also includes a great collaboration feature that has the ability to comment and post on the main classroom page. Using this feature can also allow classmates to chime in, help, and post questions about assignments. With virtual learning, it is important to keep students engaged during e-learning days. Google Classroom also has a “virtual discussions” feature to aid students in what they are currently learning where students can chime in on specific discussion threads created for that lesson or assignment. Currently, MISD is utilizing and taking advantage of the extremely collaborative and engaging platform for its students and educators.
ClassDojo has many features that help and support educators and students around the world. Some of their top features include class story, portfolios, messaging, and school story. The class story feature is where educators can share photos, videos, files, and announcements with families and students. With class story, you are also able to record up to 8-minute video lessons, share links to learning sites, and meet your entire class digitally together through Zoom or Google Hangouts. Another unique feature of ClassDojo is portfolio. Portfolio is a digital portfolio that allows students to share and create photos, videos, drawings, and journal entries, and even submit voice recordings explaining their thinking!
Remind & Email
While the previous platforms allow for collaboration and assignment-based performances, platforms like Remind and email offer active communication for educators, students, and parents. Enable two-way messaging for individual outreach and communicate directly with students and families to answer questions and provide individual support. With apps like Remind, you can also connect tools your school district is already using like Zoom, Google Classroom, and Microsoft OneDrive.
Provided below is a list of community Wi-Fi locations in Midland to ensure that every student is able to complete assignments and connect with educators:
Community Wi-Fi at MISD Buildings:
Personal devices: Connect to MISD Guest, no splash screen and no password.
MISD Chromebooks: Connect automatically
- San Jacinto- 1400 North “N” St. Midland, TX 79701 (stadium parking lot)
- Jones/YWLA-126 Thornridge Drive, Midland, TX 79703 (parking Lot in front of YWLA)
- Carver-1300 E. Wall St. Midland, TX 7970 (rear parking lot)
- Lee High-3500 Neely Ave. Midland, TX 79707 (student parking lot)
- Transportation-7201 Briarwood Ave Midland, TX 79707 (north parking lot near exit)
- Franks-401 E. Parker Ave. Midland, TX 79701 (near new construction)
- South-200 W. Dakota Ave. Midland, TX 79701 (parking lot)
- Admin-615 W. Missouri Ave, Midland TX 79701 (rear parking lot)
- Goddard-2500 Haynes Ave. Midland, TX 79705 (parking lots near portables)
MISD-provided Wi-Fi at meal locations:
Starting Monday, 4/13/20 at 8:30am -12:30pm
- Bates Field – 9007 S County Rd 1315, Odessa, TX 79766
- Valley View Baptist Church – 5500 FM1213, Midland, TX 79706
- Fire Station #4 – 5100 N Big Spring St, Midland, TX 79705
- Twin Oaks Mobile Home Park – 5200 S County Rd 1200, Midland, TX 79706
- Airline Mobile Home Park – 7100 W Hwy 80, Midland, TX 79706
- Cotton Flats Baptist Church – 6409 TX-349, Midland, TX 79706
Community Wi-Fi available from the City of Midland:
Hogan Park near the Pavillion and ball parks are ready for Wi-Fi use, as are the Doug Russell and Washington Pools. Access points are available in the parking lot.
- Hogan Park- 1201 E Wadley Ave, Midland, TX 79705
- Doug Russell Pool- 900 Midland Dr, Midland, TX 79703
- Washington Aquatic Center- 1601 E Indiana Ave, Midland, TX 79701
At Educate Midland, we believe that grade-level readiness and education competency is essential during this time. The efforts that are made now will ensure that students returning to school will be ready to learn. We have provided several resources on our website to ensure parents, students, and educators can find the educational information to help children remain academically in-shape.